Skip to main content

tv   [untitled]    November 2, 2011 7:00am-7:30am PDT

7:00 am
adam. i am the father of a girl out paul revere. >> [speaking spanish] >> i had the same situation with the principle at that school, there is no communication. and unfortunately with the issue of going to the bathroom during class. >> [speaking spanish]
7:01 am
>> unfortunately because of what i mentioned about the bathroom, kids not being allowed to go the bathroom during class hours, and my daughter had an accident had pee'and shed -- and she pee'd on herself. they kept her without underwear and that is completely outrageous. this should not be happening. >> [speaking spanish] >> they have a system, it is
7:02 am
like a rule, but they have as a board where they have the stamps if the kids have a good deed for good behavior. every time they ask to go the bathroom, one of the stances taken off. it should not be done. >> [speaking spanish] >> if i am not wrong, years ago, there was a policy where the kids were allowed to go the bathroom any time they needed to. thank you. president mendoza: thank you. >> [speaking spanish]
7:03 am
>> i have two children at paul revere and i am the same situation, the same case. my child was expelled from class and placed in the basement until i came to pick him up. [chime] >> [speaking spanish] >> i want to renew if this is district policy. there traumatizing children and
7:04 am
the have a policy where they can't speak during lunch. and they are dramatizing the children because they're not allowed to speak during lunch. i have a problem with one of my children as well. >> [speaking spanish] >> i have a 11-year-old daughter of paul revere. my daughter had the same situation, but she has herperiod -- had her period and she was
7:05 am
not allowed to go to the bathroom. she stained herself and remained stained the rest of the day. >> [speaking spanish] >> some parents have mentioned that they do not believe what happens to my daughter, but i have proof. i can show them to anyone, i have it with me if someone needs proof of the truth. >> [speaking spanish] >> i don't think it is fair for and children at that school. some parents may be gutsy
7:06 am
because they are not aware because some people don't believe these things are happening. but we do. >> [speaking spanish] >> my daughter has been at the school since she was little. she has had no problems until we had this new principle. and the problems are starting now. that is all i have to say, thank you. >> [speaking spanish]
7:07 am
>> i am in the same situation. i have had many issues. i am a single mother and i feel rejected for everything i say and to speak out. >> [speaking spanish] >> hot daughter had the same in s,he had -- same issue. she had her period, they let her stain. she was afraid to speak out, so
7:08 am
i took her home. >> [speaking spanish] iraq's one day i wanted to speak to -- >> one day i wanted to speak to a principle. suddenly she said if i did not like the school i should go. [speaking spanish] >> my son is in special
7:09 am
education. he is in a program where he gets transportation, and they told me he would get the services for special needs if i wanted to. >> [speaking spanish] >> some other people in the school have stopped me and told me i am bad, but i should not say those five things about the principle, but i know because i have seen them. >> [speaking spanish]
7:10 am
>> someone approached me, and there are three of us who came to place a complaint, but that person said, i know what you are doing. we are not going to do anything wrong. it looks like we are not going to be able to do anything because they seem to have more influence on mr. positions -- on district positions. >> [speaking spanish]
7:11 am
>> my problem right now is my kindergarten girl has been told many times, you do not know nothing, and they take her out of the classroom. they say she is mischievous, and i know kids are mischievous, but they never called to tell me she has been placed in silent lunch. >> [speaking spanish]
7:12 am
>> my daughter cries every day. she does not want to go to lunch because she is afraid she is going to be placed in silent lunch. she feels discriminated. my other boy was almost shot by the afterschool teacher. thank you. that is it. >> my name is dennis erickson. i am the mother of five children. we are here to shine light on what is really happening and demanded district removed a principal due to the divisive
7:13 am
strategy is plaguing the community under her leadership. we speak up against the principles violating our basic rights, a positive school environment. we are labeled as disgruntled parents. ask yourself if you would tolerate children who lives in an unhealthy, abusive environment. youshe told me she supports shea 100% and feel sorry for the
7:14 am
parents and whoever does not agree with it. i have asked to speak to people higher than her. as low income parents, we believe higher in educational standards. clearer performance and a learning environment that creates a well-grounded students by a not only reading, writing, and math, but includes science answer history and ourselves -- and history and arts. our children are only learning math, reading, and right thing. it is the principal believes this is the only way to provide quality education to latino,
7:15 am
african-american, and poor students. because of lack of respect to the community and who she serbs, she must be removed as a principal. new -- to the community she serves, she must be removed as a principal. >> i am a parent of four kids, and i want to say i think you guys dishonor yourself when you put information in the voter pamphlet you know to be false. commissioner norton has said that if this passes, she thinks it would be ignored, yet she signed her name to a document saying kids will be uprooted in the middle of the school year, and you signed your name to this. i will charge any of you to bet $1,000 you could put your hand to a lie-detector test and say i
7:16 am
believe if this passes kids will be forced to switch schools in the middle of the school year. i challenge any of you, and if i am wrong, you can slap me. i know you knowingly lied. we teach our children it is wrong to lie, and you are responsible for the education of our children, and you sign your name to a document saying kids will be forced to switch schools in the middle of the year. where were these people when it happened? you know there were more people in favor than against it. that is misleading, but it is knowingly and lying when you say kids will be forced to switch between school years. each of you signed your name to this document. students could see themselves transferred to other school sites, and it could take place
7:17 am
in the middle of the semester. if you are responsible for the education of children, you should not sign your name to something you know is false. if you want to prove you're not liars and misleading our city, take a lie-detector test, and i bet you will fail. [applause] >> my name is lorraine. thank you for the opportunity to speak for a few moments. my daughter is in the fourth grade, and we started in the first grade after coming to the bay area after living many years in latin america of. since last spring, i have been a member of the leadership of paul revere. i feel very positively about the work that is happening, and i
7:18 am
would not have taken the position if i did not truly believe we are doing the right thing to give students opportunities. i do not think it would be productive for me to talk about any of the charges made here. what i would like to do is tell you i believe i'll lot of good work is happening here again we have evidence that we are going to need to close done -- close the achievement gap. we know we have made some mistakes as leaders, especially in terms of communicating some of the exchanges, but we want to heal those divisions, and we have been having meetings all year long, but tomorrow evening is another community meeting, and we are hoping it will be a step towards all of us partnering together for the best
7:19 am
of our children, so i am here to ask each and every board member and anyone else to please come to paul revere and visit the school and see what is really happening, because i believe there is a lot of information being reported and a lot of misinformation, so no need to make an appointment. we would love for you to stop by. the only way to know what is happening is to see our children in the classroom every day. we had the honor of having racial norton visit with us recently, so it is a pleasure to be able to show the good things that are happening. >> what time is the meeting? >> the community meeting tomorrow night starts at 5:30. i am sorry. i am thinking today is
7:20 am
wednesday. it is thursday at 5:30. >> thank you. >> i will let you clarify that. >> thank you. is is of mediation for the parents and guardians of the school only, and it will be on thursday evening. is it is for the parents and guardians. it is a mediation using an outside mediator. >> it is a mediation for the
7:21 am
parents and principals. >> the next step would be for the parents and principals, yes. >> thank you for the clarification. next speaker please. >> i am the associate executive director for urban services ymca. we are the lead agency managing the program, and i wanted to come tonight to say that the accusations made against our staff are being fully investigated. we take this situation extremely seriously. i have already begun a situation, and i have not found any evidence to support this, but i will continue to investigate, and i wanted to put that on record tonight. >> would you report back after your investigation?
7:22 am
thank you. >> i met -- i am at paul revere. that fire is what went out to parents, so they think it is a town -- the flyer is what went out to parents, so they think it is a town hall meeting. >> i am a 25-year classroom teacher in san francisco and currently on the executive board of united educators of san francisco, and we represent the 6000 folks who keep the school running day in and day out with our wonderfully diverse student population, so i am here to speak about proposition h. there is a reason why did the commissioners, the board of supervisors, the city attorney, and now the san francisco
7:23 am
democratic party, the green party, the labor council, virtually every democratic club in the city, parents republic of schools, all opposed proposition h. >> i cannot have you give an opinion on -- >> and i thought the previous man spoke. >> he was challenging the board on a statement made. >> speaking about a valid arguments, there is a great concern among educators in san francisco that if the school board has to revisit the student assignment policy, it would lead to the kind of chaos we saw a number of years ago. that is not evidence tonight. we do not want to go back to the riotous meetings we had. there was a woman here earlier
7:24 am
tonight to said this was an amazingly civil school board meeting, and that is because of the good work of the commissioners here. diversity of our student population would allow parents to choose the best school for their kids. the 6000 educators applaud you for the work you did with the current student assignment policy, and we believe the efforts to overturn the policy will lead to enormous costs, chaos, disruption of our schools, and we are facing millions of dollars of shortfall for san francisco's school because of the economic crisis, and the last thing we need is another diversion from the work the school board now advisers
7:25 am
need to do, and that is to focus on teaching and learning. thank you for your work. let's keep our eyes on the prize, which is educating our kids. >> this is my first time here. nice to be here in the audience, and i thought this issue was important enough to bring you here. i became aware of this in september, and we talked with a lot of our friends and organizations to lobby not to pass along, but he did. on october 10 common the past -- on october 10, he passed it. it basically allows schools soon street children for sexually transmitted diseases without informing parents or
7:26 am
getting their consent for performing medical treatment at school, so the medication people are concerned about is the vaccine, and i began to read about it online. i noticed there are a lot of states both pages on it, too, and what they are saying is this vaccine is not as innocent as it is supposed to be. it is supposed to be treated in a sexually transmitted disease, but on the other hand, what is actually happening is there has been over 22,000 from the three shots. aegis up to -- there are much more severe symptoms.
7:27 am
i do not think this is acceptably. i do not think anyone here would think this is the acceptable, so i think it needs to be investigated what is going on with the vaccine. i think you had better take a good look at this and decide what you want to do, because i do not think it is worth risking the lives of one kid at school for vaccines to treat sexually transmitted diseases if it is going to have this kind of adverse affect, so i am thinking it has to be repealed because it looks so dangerous. i want to bring it to your attention. >> could you repeat that? >> is safe, accessible, and they
7:28 am
are very critical of the vaccine, and the other website is truthaboutgardocil. i think also on facebook. i also see there are videos being made by two brothers in hawaii. good they are now interviewing families and caves -- kids. you might want to take a look at that site, too. >> thank you so much. >> can i ask the deputy superintendent to get this issue and come up with this report?
7:29 am
>> absolutely. we will report back to the board. >> thank you. we are closing public comment. item k is the advisor recommit the appointments. is anybody and appointing anyone? >> may i appoint somebody at the end of the meeting? >> sure. >> yesterday i appointed two people, and one of them is from the school of the arts, and the second one is from 30 and marshall.

62 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on